Frequently Asked Questions
Click below to see answers to some of most asked questions.
Please note we DO NOT accept emails:
- Regarding new medical issues
- Asking for physician diagnosis or medical advice
- Requesting to book an appointment (you can do this online!)
- Receiving photos (unless asked for by your physician)
- For medical emergencies or when information is needed urgently
- For any frivolous, commercial, or unapproved purpose.
Please book an appointment for any of the above issues. For most physicians, you can book directly online! https://family-medicine.ca/book-an-appointment/
We do our best to respond as timely as we can to emails, however if your email falls under unacceptable, you may never receive a response. We monitor emails only Monday to Friday business office hours. We recommend if haven’t received an email response within 3 business days to assume your email was not received and call the office to follow-up.
We will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of information sent and received using email. However, because of the risks outlined below, we cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of electronic communications:
- Use of electronic communications to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
- Despite reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and security of electronic communication, it is not possible to completely secure the information.
- Employers and online services may have a legal right to inspect and keep electronic communications that pass through their system, within and outside of Canada.
- Electronic communications can introduce malware into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer, networks, and security settings.
- Electronic communications can be forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored, or even changed without the knowledge or permission of the Physician or the patient.
- Due to the sensitivity of the information, we recommend that you do not use a shared email.
If your family physician is away, or if you have an urgent concern that cannot wait until he or she is available, we will book an appointment for you with one of the other physicians in the group. This may mean that you have to visit a different office location.
If your concern is not of an urgent nature, your appointment will be booked with your own physician. We will try our best to find an appointment time that is convenient for you.
From 5:00 p.m. each weekday until 9:00 a.m. of the following morning, and from 5:00 p.m. Friday until 9:00 a.m. Monday, rostered patients may contact Telephone Health Advisory Service at 1-866-553-7205. This phone number will connect you to a registered nurse who will assess your concerns. If it is determined that you should see the physician on-call, the nurse will assist in those arrangements.
We ask that you do not go to urgent care clinics. If you cannot wait for the physician on-call or if your problem is of a more urgent nature, we request that you go to the nearest Emergency Department.
The Centre for Family Medicine, is a Family Health Team. This model of care is a partnership with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to improve the provision of health care services to you.
Enrollment in this program gives you access to treatment or telephone advice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (through the Telephone Health Advisory Service at 1-866-553-7205). You will also have access, free of charge, to our inter-professional health care providers such as our dietitian, pharmacist, chiropodist, social worker, family and marriage therapists, and nurse practitioners. Enrollment also offers you access to our many specialty clinics such as our travel clinic, anticoagulation clinic, heart function clinic and many more.
Note: If you are a "rostered" patient, we ask that you do not use urgent care clinics as this service is not approved by the Ministry. Also if you require the services of a specialist not available at the Centre please advise us so we can temporarily de-roster you while you are receiving care from outside this practice.
If you need a prescription renewal you may not need to see your doctor. Simply call your pharmacy and have them send a fax request to us to renew your medication. Your doctor will check to ensure that this medication is appropriate for you. You may be required to book an appointment if you have not seen your doctor in a while or if this is a medication that you do not normally receive.
Please be aware that prescription renewals by phone may take up to 48 to 72 hours to process. Prescriptions are usually ready to be picked at your pharmacy in 2 to 3 business days.
Plan in advance. Order your medication at least one week before you need it. Never run out of medicine.
Our team works very hard to ensure we have same day and same week appointments with each of our family physicians. This is not always possible. For urgent issues, we do offer after hours care within our team, so you should not need to use a walk-in clinic. Please call your physicians' office directly for information on where our daily on-call or after hours clinic is today.
The Centre for Family Medicine is not currently accepting new patients at any of our locations. If you looking for a family doctor please call and register with Health Care Connect at 1-800-445-1822. Website